NEO Exchange Canadian Market Share in Excess of 6% as ETF Trading Surges
- Over 6% of Canadian securities market share by value traded - 2016 to date
- Over 24% of Canadian ETF market share by value traded - April 2016
- Largest average trade size in the most actively traded securities across all Canadian marketplaces - April 2016
Toronto, May 02, 2016 – Aequitas NEO Exchange Inc. (“NEO Exchange”) today announced that it has averaged over 6% of Canadian securities market share by value traded since the beginning of 2016. For the month of April 2016, this figure reached 7.1% and, excluding crosses, 3.4%.
On April 1, 2016, on the heels of the successful launch of its first listing - Invesco Canada’s PowerShares DWA Global Momentum Index ETF (DWG) - the NEO Exchange peaked at 50% of Canadian ETF market share by value traded, making it the largest Canadian marketplace trading ETFs on that day. On average, over the course of April, the NEO Exchange secured over 24% of Canadian ETF market share by value traded, with several days where it surpassed all other marketplaces.
“In this highly competitive space, it is truly gratifying to see that we are offering services that meet the needs of long-term investors, ETF providers and their dealers,” stated Joacim Wiklander, Chief Business Officer, Aequitas NEO Exchange Inc. “From this position of strength, fueled by our innovation and our laser-like focus on fairness, liquidity and transparency, we will continue to grow and improve the overall quality and competitiveness of the Canadian capital markets.”
Analysis of trading data on the NEO Exchange indicates it has already made great strides in bringing a new level of fairness, liquidity, transparency and quality to the Canadian capital markets:
- in April, the NEO Exchange boasts the largest average trade sizes compared to all other Canadian marketplaces in the most actively traded securities;
- the NEO Exchange has reduced unnecessary intermediation, with almost 50% of trades happening amongst regular investors; and
- since the beginning of 2016, regular investors have made up almost 70% of all volume traded on the NEO Exchange.
“We believe the amount of trading amongst regular investors that we see on our marketplace, is unprecedented in Canada and beyond,” said Mr. Wiklander. “We are proud our innovative solutions have helped minimize predatory high frequency trading and improve quality of execution on our Exchange, to the benefit of institutional and retail investors.”
About Aequitas NEO Exchange Inc.
The NEO Exchange is a new Canadian stock exchange using a bold new blueprint that puts investors, businesses looking to raise capital and dealers first. Launched in March 2015, the NEO Exchange currently offers an innovative trading venue and a value added listing venue for companies and investment products. Aequitas NEO Exchange Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aequitas Innovations Inc., a company founded by a diverse group of prominent investors representative of all Canadian capital market stakeholders.
Manager, Public Relations & Communications
Aequitas NEO Exchange Inc.